MHG15070 - Port
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- LONGHOUSE (Undated)
- ENCLOSURE (Undated)
- None recorded
In a fringe of woodland between reclaimed grassland and more established cultivation, there are two longhouses lying at right angles to each other. The larger is c20m long , the S end being obscured by a recent bonfire that lies between the two buildings. The N end is rounded and is c3m wide whereas the S end is 4m wide. This is interpreted as meaning that the N end held the byre. The other building c7m S of the first is aligned E/W being l lm by 4m with rounded corners. This building has a large birch growing on its S wall.
There are slight traces of an enclosure some 20m to the SE.
This is interpreted as a single farmhouse and byre of probably late 18th century date. It is likely to be the farm at Port marked on Roy's map of 1750 as the location shown on the map at cNH 923 145 is too low-lying to avoid flooding.
See Fig 11
Wordsworth 1996, Site 4 (see Hlinked report)
NH 925 149 Two longhouses.
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
J Wordsworth 1997
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9250 1490 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/123102 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.