MHG15075 - Dalmore
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- TOWNSHIP (Undated)
- CORN DRYING KILN (Undated)
- None recorded
Centred on NH 929 154
The remains of at least 5 buildings with an enclosure and corn-drying kiln lie on the NE edge of a large field. This is the settlement shown as Dallimore on Roy's map of c1750. It is not listed as a separate settlement in the 1841 census and is presumed to have
been abandoned by that date. The edge of the modern field is defined by the remains of a boundary wall probably that shown on the 1867-9 OS survey. This only survives for cl00m, the remainder having been removed. The settlement shows a variety of building types suggesting there is a history of settlement preserved here.
3/1 The modern access to the field is cut through a rounded rectangular enclosure 24m by 13m that lies immediately NE of this field. This enclosure has been further damaged by quarrying on the E side that has removed between a third and a half of the interior.
3/2 On the E side of this enclosure on a slight rise is a rectangular building aligned E/W 10m by 3m. A modern quarry scoop lies to the E. Two rectangular hollows one 6m by 3m and the other 3m by 2m lie to the W of this. A series of ?aspen seedlings are attempting to cover this area but are being partially kept down by grazing.
3/3 Immediately N of the boundary fence shown on the current OS map in an area of birch woodland are 3 possible structures. All three are partially overgrown. The best preserved lies cm the E measuring 10m by 3m, aligned NE/SW. It slopes slightly downhill to the SE and from stones exposed here it may taper to a rounded end. In style and preservation this would stem to be earlier in date than building 3/2.
3/4 On the same alignment as building 3/3 is a rectangular hollow 8m by 3m that may once have been a building.
3/5 Aligned more N/S is a hollow scoop 4.5m by 6m that may also mark a building.
3/6 2m S from a strainer post of the modern rylock fence is a corn-drying kiln with its entrance to the SE. The central bowl-shaped chamber is 3m by 4m by 0.75m deep. There is an oval chamber 3.5m by 2m, presumably the fire-box, outside this.
3/7 30m to the SW of the large enclosure there are the remains of a possible rectangular structure 6m by 3m.
Wordsworth 1996, Site 3 (see Hlinked report)
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9289 1540 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.