MHG15125 - Mill Cottage - John O'Groats
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (18th Century to 19th Century - 1800 AD? to 1845 AD?)
An earlier C19 single storey 3-bay cottage. Listed at Category C (Category B as part of group value with adjacent John O'Groat's Mill) in 1984.
In 2013 AOC Archaeology Group was commissioned by the Princes Regeneration Trust in association with the North Highland Initiative to undertake the first phase of works of a much wider vision for the future of the abandoned John O'Groats Mill. These works, undertaken between 4th-8th March and 14th March, included: a desk-based assessment and walkover survey of the land within the ownership of the mill owner; a detailed measured survey of the mill; a general topographic site plan of the area including the mill pond and its associated waterways; a detailed written and photographic survey of the mill, the mill cottages and the abandoned cottages to the north-west, as well as the adjacent 17th century Cromwellian Bridge; an inventory of all the moveable artefacts inside the mill and a geophysical survey on the ground surrounding the mill (carried out by Rose Geophysical Consultants).
The two abandoned cottages were not part of the main survey as they are outwith the ownership of the mill owner. However, it was considered prudent to put some record of them here to place the site into context as a working landscape. There are two cottages, and the NMRS records the southernmost building as being C Listed, referring to it as 'Mill Cottage' (see MHG62579 for the northern 'cottage'). The building is a three-bay single-storey building of stone rubble covered in a roughcast render. There is a projecting porch on the south side, reported to be a later addition by the listing description (and indeed, it does not appear on the 1907 map) with an east-facing door (Plate 122). There is a three-over-three timber sash window to the immediate east of this on the main south elevation. Moving round to the west gable, there is a small off-set window, frame missing, to the east side (Plate 123). The north elevation facing the other cottage (a small passage between them) has only two small windows roughly in the centre with projecting sills (Plate 124). Another later wing then projects from the east gable with a small vertically-panelled door on the north-facing side. This terminates in a chimney breast with a large concrete tank to its north side.
A photographic survey carried out by Mcgregor Bowes in 2016 as part of a planning application. <2>
The listing address was amended by Historic Environment Scotland with effect from 28/01/2022. <3>
- <1> SHG28898 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Sproat, D., MacLaren, D. & Ovendon, S.. 2013. John O'Groats Mill, Huna, Caithness: Archaeology & Inventory of Artefacts Report. AOC Archaeology Group. Digital. p.24.
- <2> SHG27163 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mcgregor Bowes. 2016. Conservation, Design and Access Statement - John O'Groats Mill Cottage / Crooks Holdings. Mcgregor Bowes. Digital.
- <3> SHG29220 Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Historic Environment Scotland. 2022. Notification of the amendments to the listing of John O'Groat Mills, Mill Cottage, LB1805. Historic Environment Scotland. 07/02/2022. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3715 7337 (17m by 11m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1805 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/BAR/detail.aspx?sctID=2832 (Buildings at Risk register entry)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/203977 (View HES Canmore record for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.