MHG15235 - Former Schoolhouse, School & Walls - Latheron

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (3)

  • SCHOOL HOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD to 1850 AD (between))
  • SCHOOL (Built, 19th Century - 1850 AD to 1900 AD (between))
  • BOUNDARY WALL (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (between))

Protected Status

Full Description

REFERENCE - Scottish Record Office

Building of a school and schoolhouse.
Mr Alexander, Architect in Golspie, has produced a specification
and plan.Documents and circular letter.
1820 GD 136/714

The former schoolhouse, school and boundary walls were listed at category B in 1984. Earlier C19 schoolhouse with later C19 school built against, and slightly advanced from, the west gable. Both buildings rubble built with tooled ashlar dressings. Roughly coped dry stone walls surround the school and schoolhouse with a centre wall dividing the southern frontage. <1>

The building was reassessed by Historic Environment Scotland in 2020 and found to still meet the criteria for listing at Category B. The listing supplementary information was also updated. <2>

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 1998 3358 (45m by 90m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND13SE
Civil Parish LATHERON
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.