MHG15254 - Wick Central Church (Church of Scotland), Dempster Street
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
1853. Spire added 1862. Gothic 5 bay rectangular church with tall single stage tower to south. Regular coursed rubble with contrasting ashlar long and short dressings. Tower: stepped clasping angle buttresses; entrance on south face with pointed head under ogee hoodmould; hoodmoulded blind cusped panel above. Tall louvred belfrey openings with paired cusped heads and hoodmould which continues round tower and returns to gable end of church. Battlemented parapet with angle piers and clock in raised centre of each face. Facetted spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes on alternate faces; finial. Door and Y-traceried gallery window in each flanking gable, small inner similarly traceried windows; original rib panelling to doors. Tall Y-traceried windows in side walls. Session house to east; single storey gable end to street; gabled porch: similarly detailed windows; low coped wall with fleurs-de-lis decorated cast-iron railings. <1>
Copies of archive documents were received via Victor Hawthorne, Wick Planning Office. A set of drawings accompany a specification of "the several works required to be done in erecting and completely finishing the intended 'New Free Church'…under the direction of Wm J.Gray, Architect to the Committee appointed for erecting this Church." The plans are mostly dated 1862, so presumably this set of documents dates to the remodelling of church when the spire was added. Further details have been requested from the parish clerk. <2>
The church was photographed during aerial surveys by RCAHMS in 2013. See link below to HES Canmore record for photos. <3>
- <1> SHG24041 Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 42046.
- <2> SHG24977 Image/Drawing/Plan: 1862?. Specification for works to the Free Church, Wick and accompanying drawings. Digital.
- <3> SHG23282 Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 174209.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3644 5054 (31m by 39m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB42308 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/174209/wick-dempster-street-wick-central-church (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.