MHG1528 - Burial Cairn, Brawlbin Round
Site of late neolithic-bronze age burial cairn with possible cist.
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
This small cairn is more likely to have covered a cist than a chamber.
J L Davidson and A S Henshall 1991.
A cairn, measuring 8m NE-SW by 7.5m transversely and 0.4m high. The 'large slab' previously noted appears more likely to be the remains of a cist than a chamber; it measures 0.8m long, 0.3m high and 0.1m thick. Revised at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (NKB) 15 September 1981.
Cairn (NR) OS 6"map, (1963)
This cairn lies in flat moorland at 400ft OD. It has been so much robbed that its dimensions are uncertain. Near the centre a large slab 2ft 6ins long protrudes through the turf. On the strength of this stone it has been listed as a chambered cairn, but in its present condition the exact nature of the site is doubtful.
RCAHMS 1911; A S Henshall 1963, visited 1957.
The remains of this cairn measure 13m by 14m. The stones are turf-covered, and it is 0.5m high on the N side and 1.2m on the S, where the ground falls away. The small, thin slab previously described is probably the side of a cist.
Visited by OS (J L D) 10 April 1962.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 93, no. CAT 7.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 103, No. 377.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 260, CAT 7.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0626 5706 (16m by 16m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM464 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7679 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.