MHG15291 - Loch More Bridge Over River Thurso
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
1830-40. Twin arched rubble bridge; dressed rubble arch rings and triangular cutwaters; dressed rubble parapet pierced by small drainage vent over centre of each arch; slightly splayed approach. 60' overall span. Similar to Westerdale Bridge, also over River Thurso, dated 1834. <1>
A visitor to the HER website advised that the NGR for this bridge was incorrect (but the correct NGR is given in the LB record). Loch More Bridge is actually on the E shore of Loch More. Photographs are available on a website dedicated to Highland bridges (see link). <2><3>
Please note that the NGR that was originally used for this record ND 07233 46282 is also marked in the official Listed Building GIS layer from Historic Scotland (although the paper version is correct). Records DHG1441 and MHG38566 have been left as is to provide a concordance with NMRS and Historic Scotland data. The positions of both bridges have been checked with Google Street View. <4><5>
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 7803.
- <2> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. W. Krueger, 23/08/2010.
- <3> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Krueger, W. Highland Bridges. Accessed 27/08/2010.
- <4> Verbal Communication: Carey, G. 2010-2011. Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer.
- <5> Interactive Resource: Google. Google Streetview. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 08381 46013 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://kweimar.de/Bilder_XML.php?ket=HL122 (View more information on this bridge from a website about Highland Bridges)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7803 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/319589/loch-more-bridge (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.