MHG15343 - 8 Wilson Lane, Thurso

Summary

Now demolished, this building presumably provided accomadation for the workers at the kippering kiln, as it is listed under the same ownership throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Type and Period (1)

  • HOUSE (19th Century - 1875 AD to 1875 AD (post))

Protected Status

Full Description

Early 19th century 2-storey, 3-bay house, flanked, contrasting margins. Centre entrance; outer bay 1st floor
windows raised slightly at later date to break wallhead under shallow swept dormers; single ground and 1st floor windows; 4-pane glazing. Coped end stacks; Caithness slate roof. <1>

Declared unsafe in 1997 and demolished. Part of the complex of buildings associated with the kippering enterprise, between Shore Street and Wilson's Lane. Presumably this building provided accomadation for the workers, as this building is under the same ownership as the kiln throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries. <2>

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 1194 6863 (9m by 9m)
Map sheet ND16NW
Civil Parish THURSO
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.