MHG15470 - 58 High Street, Ardersier
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1701 AD to 2100 AD)
Part of a late C18 2-storey and attic 10-bay terraced row in the High Street, Ardersier.
The building (with Nos. 59 and 60) was added to the statutory list at Category B in 1986.
Restored by the Highlands Building Preservation Trust -
RESTORATION WORK - We have agreed to purchase from the current absentee owner these two 18th century ashlar fronted town houses in the center of the Ardersier conservation area. They have lain empty for over 50 years and are now in semi derelict condition, displaying serious problems of stone decay and water penetration. The properties are both category B listed and we hope to secure funding to enable them to be restored back to residential use, for sale on the open market, on a revolving fund basis.
HISTORICAL BACKGROUND - although the exteriors are relatively unassuming, the interiors display some sophistication of detailing in the decorative joinery and plaster work. It has been suggested there may be some association with Fort George, although further research is needed to explore this connection. They are certainly unusual properties for Ardersier, which even at the time of the 1st edition OS in the mid 18th century, was described as consisting largely of single storey thatched houses in only middling condition.
From HBPT Annual Report and Accounts 2000
NH75NE0031 59-60 High Street
The building (in conjunction with Nos. 59 and 60) was re-assessed by Historic Scotland in May 2014 with a decision to retain the building on the statutory list at the same category. <1>
The statutory listing address and list description were amended in 2015. <2>
- <1> Text/Report: Listing and Designed Landscape Team. 2015. Assessment Against the Listing Criteria: Ardersier. Historic Scotland. Digital.
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Historic Scotland. 2015. Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council), 192nd Amendment 2015. Historic Scotland.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7814 5526 (10m by 10m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1745 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/104115 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.