MHG1563 - Long cairn or round Cairn - Shurrery
Site of probable late Neolithic-Bronze Age round cairn. It has also been interpreted as a long cairn.
Type and Period (2)
- ROUND CAIRN? (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 1501 BC?)
- (Alternate Type) LONG CAIRN? (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2401 BC?)
- None recorded
A possible long cairn or round cairn at Shurrery.
?Longcairn recorded by R Mercer in 1982 during a survey undertaken by the University of Edinburgh, one of several over a number of years in Caithness: FOR 303. Dimensions: 13m x 3.50m. Height: 1m. Subrectangular structure with with a cairn at the W end. The central 5m is less high and has fewer stones than the rest of the cairn. Orientation: E-W. 60m to the E of ? Rick stand (Mon. 301a). Associated with Mons. 299, 300, 301, 304, 305, 306, 311 and 302. Elevation 300' OD. ND 038580. (Figs. 16, 85). <1>
Though recorded by Mercer as a (?) long cairn, Davidson and Henshall consider this to be a 'low round cairn on the end of a small natural ridge'. <2>
This feature is visible in LiDAR data gathered by AOC Archaeology in 2011 as part of the mitigation for the visual impact on the archaeological landscape associated with the proposed Baillie Hill windfarm, Caithness. However, it was not identified in the initial data analysis, and is therefore not mentioned/listed in the report. <3>
Note: the grid reference for this site in <1> is incorrect [IS-L 22/06/2020].
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H.. 1985. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1985. Paper and Digital. 194, no. FOR 303, fig. 16.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 170.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G.. 2012. Baillie Hill and Cnoc Freiceadain, Caithness: LiDAR Survey. AOC Archaeology Group. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0371 5803 (15m by 9m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (2)
- http://bronzeagecaithness.aocarchaeology.com/lidar/ (View LiDAR data online)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7715 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.