MHG15678 - Kiltarlity Free Church of Scotland
Free Church built in 1846 to a simple rectangular plan.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Built, 19th Century - 1846 AD to 1846 AD)
This Free Church was built in 1846 on land donated by Lord Lovat. Is a simple rectangular church orientated E-W, with harl-pointed rubble and roughly tooled ashlar dressings. To the interior, the galleries have been removed and walls inserted. Full architectural details can be found in the notes accompanying the statutory list (see link for online information).
The first application for land was apparently turned down, but he donated the present site c.1845. He had originally intended to build a Roman Catholic church on the site and when donated the site was said to contain stones that had been prepared for the RC church. <1>
Photographs of the building were submitted as a requirement of planning consent for alterations and the erection of two replacement porches. <2>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Freeman, E. 2008-9. Photographs of various HER sites. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital.
- <2> Text/Report: K D M Architects. 2008. Proposed alterations to Kiltarlity Free Church: Photographic Report and Architects Plans. K D M Architects. . Digital (scanned as PDF).
|Grid reference||Centred NH 50644 41144 (22m by 24m) (Mastermap)|
|Civil Parish||KILTARLITY AND CONVINTH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB8080 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/228991 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.