MHG15829 - Mid-C19 Lock Keeper's Cottage - Caledonian Canal, Dochgarroch
The mid-C19 lock keeper's cottage at the Dochgarroch locks on the Caledonian Canal. It was listed with the adjacent barn in 1986.
Type and Period (1)
- LOCK KEEPERS COTTAGE (Built, 19th Century - 1850 AD? to 1850 AD?)
The mid-C19 lock keeper's cottage at the Dochgarroch locks on the Caledonian Canal. It was listed at Category C with the adjacent barn in 1986.
This house was built for the lock-keeper in 1850. <1>
The lock-keeper's house was probably the building close to the lock on the NW side of the canal and visible on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet xi), on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1906, sheet xi), on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973) and on the OS Basic Scale raster map (ND).
Information from RCAHMS (MD) 27 September 2001.
The statutory address and listed building record were updated by Historic Scotland in 2014 as part of the Scottish Canals estate review (2013-14). <2>
- <1> SHG24408 Text/Publication/Monograph: Lindsay, J.. 1968. The Canals of Scotland. . p.170.
- <2> SHG27354 Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Dixon, C.. 2014. Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, One Hundred and Sixty Second Amendment) 2014. Historic Scotland. 23/06/2014. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6183 4043 (16m by 13m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB8033 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/197228 (View on-line CANMORE record for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.