MHG15838 - Sheriff Court - Castle Hill, Castle Wynd, Inverness
Inverness Sheriff Court on Castle Hill, Castle Wynd.
Type and Period (1)
- COURT HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1560 AD to 2100 AD)
Inverness Sheriff Court, Castle Wynd, Castle Hill, dating to 1833-6, by William Burn. Built on the site of the medieval Inverness Castle.
REFERENCE, Scottish Record Office: GD46/17/58:
Meeting concerning a new courthouse and jail. Excerpts from minutes. 1812
REFERENCE, Scottish Record Office: GD 46/17/59:
Need for a new courthouse and jail. Excerpts from Minutes of a General Meeting where plans were discussed. 1812
REFERENCE, Scottish Record Office: GD 128/37/15:
"The Castle" [The County Hall], Letter from William Brodie to Tytler. His letter concerns the preparations for laying the Foundation Stone with full Maxonic ceremony. 1834
[*Architect: William Burn 1789-1870]
Rearrangement of Jail Buildings as County Offices
Architects: Ross & Macbeth (I.C. Jan. 8, 1904)
The building (along with the police station to the north - the former prison) was listed at category A in 1971.
The building was reviewed as part of a Historic Scotland nationwide review of purpose-built court houses in 2014-15. It was recommended that the listed building record and statutory address be update. <1>
The listed building record and statutory address were updated by Historic Scotland in Sept 2015. <2>
Guide pittoresque du voyageur en Ecosse, 1838, Guide pittoresque du voyageur en Ecosse, Engraving p. 244 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2299.
<1> Listing and Designed Landscape Team, 2015, Assessment Against the Listing Criteria: Inverness Sheriff Court and Police Station (Text/Report). SHG27415.
<2> Fraser, D., 2015, Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, Two Hundred and Sixteenth Amendment) 2015 (Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings). SHG27421.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Guide pittoresque du voyageur en Ecosse. 1838. Guide pittoresque du voyageur en Ecosse. Engraving p. 244.
- <1> Text/Report: Listing and Designed Landscape Team. 2015. Assessment Against the Listing Criteria: Inverness Sheriff Court and Police Station. Historic Scotland. Digital.
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Fraser, D.. 2015. Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, Two Hundred and Sixteenth Amendment) 2015. Historic Scotland. 15/09/2015. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6664 4507 (36m by 44m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB35166 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/98264 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.