MHG159 - Broch, Tulach Buaile A' Chroic
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
Tulach Buaile a' Chroic (Brough) (NR)
OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1908)
This oblong mound, measuring some 60-70ft in length by 20ft in breadth, covers remains of a broch, small fragments of the wall of which are visible. The mound has at one time been quarried into at S end, and river has eaten into it on E, reducing it to its present form (RCAHMS 1911). It is not mentioned in the list of brochs (Graham 1949). RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910; A Graham 1949.
The remains of Tulach Buaile a' Chroic are as described above; the mound is 3.5m high. It is now impossible to be wholly certain if it is a broch, but traces of walling at NW end of a crescentic, grass-covered ridge, 0.3m high, on top of the mound, are suggestive of its being one.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R B) 15 February 1965.
(ND 1299 5186) Tulach Buaile a' Chroic (NAT) Broch (NR) (remains of) OS 25" map, (1967)
Tulach Buaile a' Chroic applies to remains of a broch, apparent as a turf-covered mound in angle of an old river terrace in N corner of a field. The mound measures 27m NW-SE by 24m transversely and stands, on E half, 3m high; W half has been quarried into leaving a level grassy area delimited by a well-defined scarp, 1.5m high, in NW. No walling is evident. On SE side of mound a trench-like depression suggests that there may have been a ditch.
Visited by OS (J M) 12 November 1981
'Broch', Tulach Buaile a'Chroic. Dimensions: 27 x 24m. Subcircular grass-covered mound 3m high. Its W sector has been quarried away. Possible ditch on SE side.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Graham, A. 1949. 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 48-99. 48-99.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. Archaeology Images 1981-2 (1). Scanned Image. . Digital (CD). 1982/08/01/027.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 33, No. 106.
- --- Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: xxxxx. B/W Negative. .
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1298 5186 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8356 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.