MHG15922 - 96-104 (Even Numbers Only) Academy Street & 2 Rose Street, Inverness
The former Rose Street Foundry (later AI Welders) offices on Academy Street, Inverness.
Type and Period (2)
- SHOP (19th Century - 1893 AD to 1893 AD)
- OFFICE (20th Century - 1901 AD? to 2000 AD?)
The former Rose Street Foundry Offices (most latterly AI Welders) on Academy Street, Inverness.
The buildings were listed at Category B in 1981. By Ross and Macbeth in a French Renaissance style. The three bay front was originally three shopfronts but were later converetd to offices.
They were placed on the Buildings at Risk Register in 2010. <1>
Following demolition of the neighbouring buildings to the east (92-94 Academy Street) and subsequent site clearance, the east side of the former office buildings could be seen. <2>
A condition survey of the buldings of 96-104 Academy Satreet, Inverness, was carried out in 2016 by A.S. Marshall in advance of the propsed renovation and re-use of the buildings. A design assessment which incorporated desk-based assessment into the history of the buildings was also carried out. Originally constructed for the Rose Street Foundry and Engineering Company (re-named Resistance Welders in 1945 and re-named again – to AI Welders in the 1960s). The building formed the company’s offices, with the foundry and engineering workshops to the rear, the last remaining of which were demolished in the 1980s when the current two storey car-park was built in Rose Street. The industrial heritage of the building is captured in four mosaics of foundry men at work which are set within the giant round head arches on the front (south west) and north west elevations of the building. The building has had a chequered history since AI Welders moved out in 1988. The ground floor has been used as a pub, but the two upper floors have lain empty for over 25 years. <3> <4>
GIS spatial data amended in 2020 according to location of building as seen on OS MasterMap. <5>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Historic Environment Scotland. Buildings at Risk Register. 1410.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Farrell, S.. 2015. Archaeological Recording at 92-94 Academy Street, Inverness, Highland. Stuart Farrell. Digital.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, A. S.. 2016. 96-104 Academy Street, Inverness: Condition Report. MAKAR Ltd. Digital.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, A. S.. 2016. 96-104 Academy Street, Inverness: Design Statement. MAKAR Ltd. Digital.
- <5> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6655 4556 (31m by 31m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB35123 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/BAR/detail.aspx?sctID=1410 (Buildings at Risk register entry)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/98911 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.