MHG16 - Mausoleum, Cnoc Mhicheil
Late C18 mausoleum
Type and Period (1)
- MAUSOLEUM (BUILT 1560; BUILT POST MEDIEVAL; , Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
For Drimnin House (NM 5538 5504) and related buildings, see NM55NE0010
Monument to Allan McLean of Drimnin (died 1792) on a hill 0.4km NW [of the house]. Plain classical reredos in a small enclosure.
J Gifford 1992.
Burial-enclosure, Cnoc Mhicheil. At the highest point of an elongated rocky ridge some 400m W of Drimnin House, a low stone wall surmounted by iron railings encloses a free-standing reredos monument of simple design. This incorporates a marble panel commemorating Allan McLean, 5th of Drimnin, an officer in the Jacobite army at Culloden, who died in 1792.
OS 1:10,000 map, 1974.
The tomb was restored just prior to 1914.
Argyll County Council 1914.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: County Council of Argyll. 1914. List of ancient monuments and historic buildings in the county of Argyll. 6.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Gifford, J. 1992. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. Paper (Original). 236.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1980. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Argyll: an inventory of the monuments volume 3: Mull, Tiree, Coll and Northern Argyll (excluding the early medieval and later monuments of Iona). . 136, No. 277.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 5507 5522 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22315 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.