MHG1600 - Cnoc Na Moine
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Undated)
- None recorded
There are several cairns at the base of Cnoc na Moine which, being unsubstantiated, were not published.
Name Book 1873.
In area centred at NC 940 651 are several mounds. Some of these are obviously recent stone clearance heaps; some have been made into shooting butts, and some are grass and heather covered mounds, some 6m in diameter and 1m high. These last are so varied in size and shape that it would be impossible to ascertain their purpose without excavation or substantiating authority.
Visited by OS (R B) 27 November 1964.
Group of about 22 cairns ranging in size between 3 x 3m and 16 x 5m. Some attached to walls. Total length of walling about 260m. Rectilinear field system.
R J Mercer 1981.
NC 940 650. An area of field clearance extending over about 2 hectares of steep S-facing slopes of Cnoc na Moine. It comprises field clearance and short stretches of wasted walling. From its nature it probably has prehistoric origins, but no field plots are evident. It may be contemporary with settlement to NE (NC96NW 2).
Visited by OS (J B) 6 October 1981.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 9, 5-6 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3399.
Mercer, R J, 1981, Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: volume II, 1980-81, 133, No. 273; fig. 18 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG2511.
Cathy Dagg, 1998, Archaeological Survey of a Proposed WGS plantation at Sandside Estate, Caithness (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2038.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Cathy Dagg. 1998. Archaeological Survey of a Proposed WGS plantation at Sandside Estate, Caithness.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R J. 1981. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: volume II, 1980-81. University of Edinburgh. 30/12/1981. Paper and Digital. 133, No. 273; fig. 18.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 9, 5-6.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9403 6499 (223m by 214m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7323 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.