MHG16077 - Dovecote, Uiginish Lodge
Only known free-standing dovecot in Skye.
Type and Period (2)
- DOVECOT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- POULTRY HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Earlier/mid 19th century; tall, thin square dovecot tower forming centre core for later square rubble building (probably hen house) built around it, and above which the dovecot with panel of south east facing flight holes protrudes. 76 wooden boxes to dovecot; hen house heated, small chimney to rear; door and window south side. Pyramidal slate roofs.
Only known free-standing dovecot in Skye. <1>
Site visit in September 2010 found the doocot in derelict condition. Placed on the Buildings at Risk register. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 2423 4825 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB479 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/bar/detail.aspx?sctID=2888 (Buildings at Risk register entry)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/173483 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.