MHG16149 - Chapelton Bridge, Killearnan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
18th century single span bridge splayed at each end. Sloping parapet meets at gentle apex at centre of bridge and topped by two square blocks of stone, one on top of the other, as finials. Rubble; ashlar copes. <1>
Information from a participant in Black Isle Heritage Memories project. A pewter drinking ladle was chained to bridge wall. A well under the bridge is identified as St Andrew's Well. <2>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Member of public. 03/2008. Chapelton Bridge and Chapelton Bridge Well. Colour. . Digital (scanned).
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 8005.
- <2> Text/Report: McCullagh, C. 09/2010. Black Isle Heritage Memories: Remembering your Community Avoch, Culbokie and Tore. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital. T51 & T52.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5884 5010 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB8005 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.kweimar.de/Bilder_XML.php?ket=HL175 (View photographs and information on Scottish Highland Bridges website)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/111298 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.