MHG16255 - Rosskeen Parish Church, graveyard
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
Cemetery surrounds C19 church and the mausoleum and building remains of the medieval church to the E of this. Extensive cemetery around the area in modern use so extended to N uphill and to the W. Part of the SW area dedicated to military graves of WW2 and the 1920s largely naval (& reserve) and RAF personnel. Photos. - HAW 3/2004
NH66NE0077 Munro Mausoleum
Easter Ross Local Plan, July 1992: P31/4.29. PROPOSAL - The Council will sponsor a students study during 90/91 on the feasibility of converting Rosskeen Church into a visitor centre.
J Aitken : 06/06/01.
Visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. The site at Rosskeen is of considerable architectural importance, consisting of a series of redundant/ruinous buildings, including a large early 19th century roofed redundant church which dominates the site. The Munro mausoleum, erected in the 17th century and restored in 1908, (according to a plaque inside), lies to the east of the roofed church. A series of linked burial enclosures/mausolea, further to the east, of varying dates, lie on a possible previous church site and may incorporate earlier church remains. The large graveyard is in active use and the burial ground has been extended several times. <1><2>
<1> Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A, 03/2010, Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25133.
<2> Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust, 2009, Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25134.
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6880 6925 (197m by 185m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:15040 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB15040 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/108578 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.