MHG16274 - Urquhart Parish Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NH55NE 145 5778 5790
For predecessor parish church (NH 5806 5849), see NH55NE 1. For associated manse (NH 5769 5820), see NH55NE 144.
ARCHITECTS: Ross & Macbeth (I.C. 3 July 1894) Renovation
1795, coursed rubble with ashlar dressings; slated roof. Simple rectangle with birdcage bellcote with stepped pyramidal
top with ball finial at west gable and fleur de lis finial at east gable. South front, 6 bays with tall round-arched windows
with intersecting traceried astragals at centre 4 bays; originally a door at each of end bays; later vestry projects
from between 2 centre windows. Church reorientated to east, Ross & Macbeth, 1894; Geometric tracery inserted at rectangular gable windows; south door converted to low window of 2 cusped lights. Churchyard wall, rubble. <1>
Information from participant in the Black Isle Heritage Memories project. In 1790 the original building costs were £580. <2>
Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe via the Highland HER Flickr group.<3>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 14910.
- <2> Text/Report: McCullagh, C. 09/2010. Black Isle Heritage Memories: Remembering your Community Avoch, Culbokie and Tore. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital. C63.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5778 5789 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND LOGIE WESTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB14910 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG16274 (View images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/111382 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.