MHG16281 - Bridge Over the Allt Mor, Tornapress
Telford Bridge, built c.1815.
Type and Period (1)
- BRIDGE (Built, 19th Century to Unknown - 1815 AD)
A photograph of this bridge was submitted by a visitor to the HER website in August 2008. <1>
Thomas Telford, circa 1815. Single span rubble bridge; dressed rubble arch ring; low rubble parapet; shallow end buttresses. <2>
Information from Paul Swan. Tornapress Bridge is typical of many dozens, both large and small, that were constructed as a result of the 1802 Parliamentary Commission for Roads and Bridges under their engineer, Thomas Telford. In all more than twelve hundred miles of roads were built in the Highlands in a period of only just over twenty years.
Mr. Mackenzie of Applecross was the contractor for several of the roads around Lochcarron, completing the North Strome to Lochcarron and on up Glen Carron section in 1817 and the Lochcarron to Shieldaig section, including this bridge, in 1819. Subsequently, in 1825/6 he built the road over Bealach na Ba with his own money, as it was not part of the Parliamentary Roads. <3>
- --- SHG21285 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Harden J. 1997. A rapid archaeological assessment of part of Couldoran Estate in advance of a Woodland Grant Scheme. 30/12/1997. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <1> SHG23809 Image/Photograph(s): Swan, P. 2008-11. Photographs of various HER sites submitted by Paul Swan. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <2> SHG24041 Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 7266.
- <3> SHG25089 Text/Manuscript: Swan, P. 01/2011. Information on Tornapress Bridge. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8377 4206 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://kweimar.de/Bilder_XML.php?ket=11_12 (View more information on this bridge from a website about Highland Bridges)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7266 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/110150 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.