MHG16341 - Kincraig House Hotel, Invergordon
Kincraig House, a much-altered 2-story and attic dwelling dating from the late 19th-century, is shown on 1st edition Ordnance Survey mapping.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
Large late 19th century rambling 2-storey and attic house, with much altered 1800 2-storey and attic, symmetrical 3-bay house as central portion. All harled with tooled and polished ashlar dressings and margins. Near symmetrical south front with former centre entrance (as window) in bracketted corniced doorpiece with decorated entablature and engaged Ionic columns; coat of arms rests on cornice. Flanking ground and 1st floor tripartites; tall centre crowstepped gable with flanking dummy corbelled bartizans with blind cruciform arrow slits and conical roofs. Centre 3 bays flanked by advanced gabled 2-storey wings with 4-light windows in ground floors and tripartites in 1st; rounded ground floor angles, with corbel detailing and string courses above. Long west elevation with advanced near centre gabled bay with main entrance in hoodmoulded Tudor arch and with oriel above. Angle drum tower rises 3 storeys at SW, terminating in conical roof with cast-iron weathervane. Mainly 2-pane glazing with multi-pane upper lights. Various rear extensions mask base of original projecting emi-circular stair well rising into piended bowed roof. Corniced end and ridge stacks; crowsteps; slate roofs. <1>
Depicted on the 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey maps for this area. <2> <3>
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6916 7094 (39m by 43m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB15044 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/111356 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.