MHG16352 - Cromarty Obelisk, Tulloch Street, Dingwall

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • MOOT HILL (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1560 AD to 2100 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Original tower taken down in 1920 and replica built on site in 1921.

Obelisk, rebuilt in 1921 on site of earlier version taken down in 1920. Memorial to the E of cromarty built in the C18. Full history given on the plaque on the side of the current monument. The Earl was also apparently buried nearby in a lead coffin (poss other burials also in area. The obelisk currently stands in the centre of a raised flower bed surriounded by shrubs & trees. This bed lies in the centre of a car park that rises towards it. It is possible that this hill was more prominent (see OS 1st ed) when the monument lay on a mound in open space. This area has been posited as a "thing" and it is possible that the site was once more prominent, which is why it was selected as the obelisk and burial site (as opposed to the churchyard nearby). Possible that the area has been regraded in the C20 - HAW 10/2002

Moot Hill identified here by David Macdonald of Dingwall. See Assoc. Docs
JW
27.10.2003

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 5498 5891 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH55NW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish DINGWALL

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.