MHG16359 - Poolewe Parish Church (Church of Scotland)
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Simple building on E side of road on N side of village on W bank of river. <1>
Thomas Telford, 1828; plans and specifications by contractor, James Smith. Parliamentary Church, rubble south elevation with heavy cement pointing, harl pointed flanks and rear, tooled ashlar dressings. T-plan, with segmental headed entrances in outer bays and paired windows in centre; similar gable windows, and in rear wing. <2>
Early 19th century Parliamentary Church which appears to have been recently made redundant. There is no burial ground attached to the church. <3> <4>
A photographic survey of the building was carried out in 2014 as a condition of a planning application for the change of use from a church to residential accommodation. <5>
<1> White, H, Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist, 05/2004 (Verbal Communication). SHG23635.
<2> Historic Scotland, Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance), HB Number 7896 (Dataset). SHG24041.
<3> Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A, 03/2010, Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25133.
<4> Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust, 2009, Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25134.
<5> Sinclair, M, 2014, Photographic Survey - Poolewe Church, Poolewe (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG26200.
- <1> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 05/2004.
- <2> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 7896.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
- <5> Image/Photograph(s): Sinclair, M. 2014. Photographic Survey - Poolewe Church, Poolewe. Colour. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8569 8091 (15m by 17m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (4)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:7896 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7896 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/BAR/detail.aspx?sctID=1242 (Buildings at Risk register entry)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/108044 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.