MHG1637 - Chapel? Kirk Tofts
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Site of (NAT) Chapel (NR) OS 6" map, Caithness, 1st ed., (1873)
Until it was excavated by Sir Francis Tress Barry in 1901, the site of the 'Road Broch' (ND36SW 1) was said to be that of an early church, hence the name 'Kirk Tofts".
Anderson (1901) says that church is supposed to have stood either in present graveyard or on cultivated ground to S of it. He suggests that the oblong rectangular foundation between the burial ground, the broch and the road might be the remains of the church although it shows no distinctively ecclesiastical feature.
J Anderson 1901; Name Book 1872.
There is no trace and no local knowledge of a church in area centred at ND 349 615 indicated above. This area incorporates a war memorial with surrounding lawn, an extension to the old graveyard, and a small refuse tip from cemetery.
Visited by OS (N K B) 6 September 1965.
No trace of the chapel in 1981. C E Batey 1982.
No change. Visited by OS (J M) 30 April 1982.
- --- SHG1296 Text/Publication/Article: Anderson, J. 1901. 'Notices of nine Brochs along the Caithness coast from Keiss Bay to Skirza Head, excavated by Sir Francis Tress Barry, Bart., MP., of Keiss Castle, Caithness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 35 1900-1, p.112-48. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 112-48. 131.
- --- SHG1656 Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1975. 'The early ecclesiatical remains of Wick Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 Oct 1975, p.81-4. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 81-4. 81.
- --- SHG1959 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Batey, C E. 1981. Caithness coastal survey 1981: interim report. University of Durham, Department of Archaeology. . Wic 109.
- --- SHG3343 Text/Publication/Monograph: Ordnance Survey. Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. 13. Book No. 13, 47.
- --- SHG3470 Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3489 6150 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9344 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.