MHG16390 - Attadale House
Built in 1755, with additions of varying later dates.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Built, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1755 AD to 1900 AD)
Dated 1755 with additions of varying later dates. Mainly 2-storeys and attic rambling mansion with wide irregular south
front with early centre portion of 3 bays. All harled with polished and tooled ashlar margins and dressings. <1>
Attadale House was built for the Mathesons of Fernaig who purchased the estate in 1750 from the profits of cattle rearing & droving. This prosperity continued until 1821 when Donald Matheson became bankrupt and was forced to sell due to the collapse of the cattle market.
As part of the “clearances” 35 crofters and 25 cottars were evicted in 1838. <2>
Gardens open to the public . <3>
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 7254.
- <2> Text/Manuscript: Swan, P. 01/2011. Information on Attadale House. Yes. Digital.
- <3> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9258 3904 (35m by 37m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7254 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/111335 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.