MHG16396 - Former Drill Hall - St Peter and St Boniface Church, Cathedral Square, Fortrose
A late C19 former volunteer drill hall, becoming the Mackerchar Hall in 1945. Now used as St Peter and St Boniface RC Church.
Type and Period (2)
- DRILL HALL (19th Century to Second World War - 1881 AD to 1945 AD)
- ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH (20th Century to 21st Century - 1970 AD? to 2100 AD)
A former volunteer drill Hall by the Inverness architect John Robertson, 1881, becoming the Mackerchar Hall in 1945. Now used as St Peter and St Boniface RC Church.
The building was listed at category C(S) in 1983.
Built as Drill Hall in 1900-1901. Now used as RC church. With flat on first floor. Built across line of cottages that ran along the NE side of the Cathedral Sq, middle two demolished to accommodate the Drill Hall. Does not appear to be of re-used material, except on side wall appears to include shaped boulders as do some of the earlier buildings in the area - HAW 11/2003
Built as a drill hall in 1881 by John Robertson. It is marked on the 2nd edition 1:2500 OS map. The entrance to the sandstone front block is in the gable facing the cathedral. The round-headed romanesque doorway is flanked by two matching windows with a Venetian window above. The hall lies to the right of the entrance and has four bays of recessed tripartite round-headed windows.
In 1914 it was drill station for "C" Company, 4th battalion, Seaforth Highlanders. It is now in use as a Roman Catholic chapel.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project, 2013. <1> <2> <3>
The building was assessed by Historic Environment Scotland as part of the Drill Halls Listing Review 2015-16 and was visited on 28/04/2015. The exterior and interior were both seen during the visit. It was recommended that the building be listed at Category B. <4>
The category of listing was changed to B by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016. The listing address and listed building record were also amended and updated. <5>
- --- SHG28008 Text/Publication/Volume: Osbourne, M. 2006. Always Ready: Drill Halls of Britain's Volunteer Forces. pp. 277.
- <1> SHG23282 Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 106622.
- <2> SHG27124 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 64, table 43.
- <3> SHG28062 Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 437.
- <4> SHG27434 Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Assessment against the listing criteria: Mackerchar Hall, Fortrose. Historic Environment Scotland. 13/04/2016. Digital.
- <5> SHG27439 Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Fraser, D.. 2016. New listings and amendments: results of the Drill Hall Review Project. Historic Environment Scotland. 08/06/2016. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7270 5659 (28m by 24m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB31816 (View online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/106622 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.