MHG164 - Broch, Tulloch of Shalmstry
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
From road can see that stone is eroding out in 2 places - HAW 2/7/2003
ND16SW 8 1316 6443.
Tulloch of Shalmstry (NR) (Mound) (NR)
OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed. (1907)
Tulloch of Shalmstry is a green mound containing ruins of a broch. The outer face is exposed towards SE, and diameter overall appears to have been some 72ft, and its height about 7ft. The entrance passage, which has been from E, has been cleared at its outer end, and there measures 2ft 10ins wide.
Classified as a broch. A Graham, 1949
The remains of this broch are as described above.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 16 February 1965
Tulloch of Shalmstry (NAT) Broch (NR) OS 6" map (1970)
'Tulloch of Shalmstry', the remains of a broch, as described by the previous authorities. Revised at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (N K B) 15 February 1982
"Broch", Shalmistry. Dimensions: 26 x 21m. Oval grass-covered mound with some coursing evident on SW side. Entrance visible on E. Orientation N-S. R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 120, No. 437 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Graham, A, 1949, 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99, 95 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1531.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Graham, A. 1949. 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 48-99. 95.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 120, No. 437.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1317 6443 (59m by 58m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:594 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM594 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8549 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.