MHG16421 - Nutwood Steading - Strathpeffer
No summary available.
Type and Period (4)
- FARMSTEAD (19th Century to 20th Century - 1850 AD? to 1904 AD?)
- THRESHING BARN (19th Century to 20th Century - 1870 AD? to 1904 AD?)
- STABLE (19th Century - 1850 AD? to 1870 AD?)
- COACH HOUSE? (19th Century - 1850 AD? to 1870 AD?)
A listed former farm steading at Nutwood, Strathpeffer.
A single building with a small extension to its southwest corner adjoining a walled garden (see MHG62267) is shown on the OS 1st Editon 25" map (1876) to the immediate west-southwest of a building previously known as Nutwood Cottage (See MHG55623). It may have been a coach house and stables with associated accomodation for a coachman and/or gardener. <1>
By the time of the OS 2nd edition map (1904), the building had been considerably extended and joined by a second large building to its immediate northwest. <2>
On the OS 1:2500 map of 1967 a large part of the extension to the original building and the entire second building are shown roofless. <3>
The surviving building, including the walls of its southern extension, were listed at Category C in 1992.
The listing description describes the stables and domestic block as probably a later addition. However, this building appears to be on the same footprint as the original building shown on the OS 1st Edition map and may be that building with later alterations [IS-L 20/05/2021].
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4839 5859 (52m by 43m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB13239 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/94512 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.