MHG1649 - Cup Marked Stone from Gills Broch, Nybster
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
A cup-marked stone from the broch at Gills (ND37SW 3) now stands in front of John Nicolson's house at Nybster.
It is a large, irregularly shaped block of red sandstone, 2' 6 " long by 1' 3" broad. At the upper end of the stone is one large, oblong hollow 7.5" long by 5" wide by 2" deep. Beneath it are ten other circular marks, the largest of which near the base on the left, measures 3" x 1.25", while the others, which are less distinct, vary in diameter from 3/4" to 2".
RCAHMS 1911, Visited 5th July, 1910.
This cup marked stone has been lost (information from Mr Sutherland, (Grandson of J Nicolson) Halfway House, Nybster, Wick, Caithness). It is not among the collection in the old school building at Nybster. Visited by OS (R D) 10 September 1965.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3689 6380 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9332 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.