MHG16558 - Former Free Church, Toll Road, Avoch

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Alexander Ross, 1872-3. Italianate. Broad rectangular church with campanile at north-east corner, 5 bay flanks,
round-arched windows with hoodmoulds, stepped 3 light round arched window in east gable, rose window in west; square 3-stage campanile at NE corner with battered, rusticated base forming porch; 4 round-arched belfry openings with engaged columns; corbelled eaves course; shallow piended roof with weather vane. Coursed rubble with polished ashlar dressings, all red sandstone. Slate roof.

Previous Free Church built in 1846. Present building opened, 6 August 1873. <1>

Information from a participant in the Black Isles Heritage Memories project; became the Village Hall in 1929. Now a dwelling house. <2>

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6985 5504 (46m by 39m)
Map sheet NH65NE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish AVOCH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.