MHG16582 - Fletcher Burial Enclosure, Rosehaugh Estate

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • CEMETERY (20th Century to 21st Century - 1928 AD to 2100 AD)
  • COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (Built, 20th Century - 1928 AD to 1928 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Sir Edwin Lutyens, 1928. Circular enclosure with heavy stone balustrade carrying continuous bench seat on inside wall, broken one side by entrance gate and other by oblong pediment bearing circular plaque with simple laurel garland drape. Inscribed JAMES DOUGLAS FLETCHER AUGUST 30 1927 AND LILIAN MAUD AUGUSTA STEPHEN OCTOBER 30 1955. Plain iron entrance gates with square stone piers carrying wrought iron arch with intertwined initials JD and LF with roses. <1>

The Fletcher memorial was visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. The circular enclosure was built as a piece and houses only the memorial to Fletcher and his wife. Element of art deco design. <2><3>


<1> Historic Scotland, Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance), HB Number 375 (Dataset). SHG24041.


<2> Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A, 03/2010, Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25133.


<3> Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust, 2009, Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25134.

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6800 5595 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH65NE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish AVOCH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.