MHG1660 - Old Keiss Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CASTLE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
ND36SE 1 3569 6164.
Keiss Castle (NR) (remains of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1973)
Keiss Castle, originally belonging to Earls of Caithness, and probably dating from late 16th-early 17th centuries stood four storeys and an attic in height. NE angle, which contained entrances, is gone, as have upper floors.
According to Rev John Brand, castle was ruinous in 1700, but in 1726 it is described as being in repair with 'at the side of it a convenient house lately built (Macfarlane 1906-8)'.
J Brand 1701; W Macfarlane 1906-8; RCAHMS 1911.
Keiss Castle is as described and planned by RCAHMS.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 14 September 1965.
The condition of Keiss Castle is unaltered.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 22 July 1982.
Keith Tilley posted photographs of this site on the Highland HER Facebook page in June 2011. <1>
- --- SHG1990 Text/Publication/Monograph: Brand, J. 1701. A Brief Description of Orkney.
- --- SHG2053 Text/Publication/Volume: Close-Brooks, J. 1986. Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands. 91; illust.
- --- SHG24258 Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 7. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 136.
- --- SHG2441 Text/Publication/Volume: Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.). 1906-8. Geographical collections relating to Scotland. Vol. 1, 159.
- --- SHG2442 Text/Publication/Volume: MacGibbon, D and Ross, T. 1887-92. The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries. Hardback. Vol 2, p. 267.
- --- SHG2657 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 143-4, No. 498; plan, illust.
- --- SHG3614 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG7432 Image/Photograph(s): Keiss Castle. Digital Image. .
- <1> SHG25262 Interactive Resource/Webpage: Highland Council. 2011. Highland HER Facebook page. Yes. Keith Tilley, 07/06/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3568 6164 (55m by 34m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM623 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9307 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.