MHG1660 - Old Keiss Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CASTLE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
ND36SE 1 3569 6164.
Keiss Castle (NR) (remains of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1973)
Keiss Castle, originally belonging to Earls of Caithness, and probably dating from late 16th-early 17th centuries stood four storeys and an attic in height. NE angle, which contained entrances, is gone, as have upper floors.
According to Rev John Brand, castle was ruinous in 1700, but in 1726 it is described as being in repair with 'at the side of it a convenient house lately built (Macfarlane 1906-8)'.
J Brand 1701; W Macfarlane 1906-8; RCAHMS 1911.
Keiss Castle is as described and planned by RCAHMS.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 14 September 1965.
The condition of Keiss Castle is unaltered.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 22 July 1982.
Keith Tilley posted photographs of this site on the Highland HER Facebook page in June 2011. <1>
Highland Council Archaeology Unit, HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 7, 136 (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG24258.
Keiss Castle (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG7432.
Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG3614.
Brand, J, 1701, A Brief Description of Orkney (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG1990.
MacGibbon, D and Ross, T, 1887-92, The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries, Vol 2, p. 267 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2442.
Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.), 1906-8, Geographical collections relating to Scotland, Vol. 1, 159 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2441.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 143-4, No. 498; plan, illust (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Close-Brooks, J, 1986, Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands, 91; illust (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2053.
<1> Highland Council, 2011, Highland HER Facebook page, Keith Tilley, 07/06/2011 (Interactive Resource/Webpage). SHG25262.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Brand, J. 1701. A Brief Description of Orkney.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Close-Brooks, J. 1986. Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands. 91; illust.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 7. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 136.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.). 1906-8. Geographical collections relating to Scotland. Vol. 1, 159.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacGibbon, D and Ross, T. 1887-92. The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries. Hardback. Vol 2, p. 267.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 143-4, No. 498; plan, illust.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Keiss Castle. Digital Image. .
- <1> Interactive Resource/Webpage: Highland Council. 2011. Highland HER Facebook page. Yes. Keith Tilley, 07/06/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3568 6164 (55m by 34m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:623 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM623 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9307 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.