MHG16609 - Killearnan Parish Church, (Church of Scotland), Milton
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
Gothic; largely rebuilt, circa 1800. Repairs and improvements; William Robertson, 1839. repairs, George Rhind, 1846.
Restoration and interior re-cast, Ross and Macbeth, 1891. Cruciform; red rubble, broached or polished ashlar dressings. Constructed on site and largely along the line of the earlier church, some of which is included within the present structure. Orientated East/West. Blocked entrance SW corner; small blocked door SE; some blocked windows. Entrance in centre west gable; simple Gothic windows; large traceried window east gable in Perpendicular style. Plain interior; coved, pine lined ceiling. Small (3'6" long) recumbant effigy with sword at west end of church, behind pew.
Noted as one of the few parish churches in use within the Black Isle on original mediaeval site. <1>
From the name this is likely to be an early Pictish foundation although nothing obvious now from exterior. Church heavily concrete rendered on sandstone and a lot of features - doors & windows infilled. The church lies on a terrace above the firth, possible that a lower terrace could also be part of the early enclosure. The graveyard has been extended to the E probably in 19th century. Outside the gates there are 2 stone flower filled bowls - one squarish, but the other could be a very basic circular font bowl - see MHG42036. See photos. <2>
Round headed doorway in S side (see photo). Lintel built into wall on W side of cemetery. Other reused stones at this end - including a possible early gravestone. <3>
No archaeological features associated with the medieval church were recorded during a watching brief conducted to the E of the present church. <4>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Killearnan.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 7972.
- <2> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist.
- <3> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist.
- <4> Text/Report: Farrell S. 06/2004. Killearnan Church, Milton, Ross-shire. Unaffiliated. . Digital (scanned as PDF).
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5766 4949 (24m by 16m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- FONT (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7972 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/107202 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.