MHG16724 - Ferintosh Free Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1560 AD to 2100 AD)
1843, plain rectangle with small tower at south-east corner; harled with ashlar dressings. Body of church 4-bay south
(front) elevation with 2 east windows more closely spaced, round-arched keyblocked windows with astragals intersecting at tops; at west gable, 2 tall slim round-arched windows lighting pulpit. Tower 1907 square-plan with battered base course and rusticated quoins; splayed round-arched, console-key blocked door with tall rectangular slits above; cornice and parapet with stumpy pinnacles at angles; within parapet rises spired bird-cage neo Norman belfry with, at each face, a round-arched opening with slim engaged shafts with cushion capitals. Coped drystone churchyard wall. <1>
The Forbes family had granted the land on a 999 year lease. There is a cast iron urinal outside, at the back of the building. <2>
- <1> SHG24041 Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 14905.
- <2> SHG24970 Text/Report: McCullagh, C. 09/2010. Black Isle Heritage Memories: Remembering your Community Avoch, Culbokie and Tore. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital. C41.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5741 5692 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND LOGIE WESTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB14905 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/111362 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.