MHG16771 - Corry Lodge, Broadford
A listed late C18 house at Broadford, Strath, Skye.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
HB Number 13987 : BROADFORD, CORRY LODGE : Category: C(S) : Date of Listing 05/10/1971
Late 18th/early 19th century; later additions and alterations, including repairs by John Mackenzie, Portree, 1891. 2 storeys and attic, 3 wide bays, centre door flanked by pointed headed lights and canted bay window linked by canopy, supported on pair slender wooden pillars. Tripartites to outer 1st floor windows; semi-circular stair turret at rear, with conical roof, stair window altered to door linked to garden by footbridge over rear court. 2 piended dormers of circa 1900; end stacks; slate roof. Single storey and attic flanking pavilions linked to main house by (later) narrow 2 storeys bays. Both pavilions with long gable end stacks to main (east frontage; southern pavilion with single dormer to east and west gables and 3 to south elevation, all circa 1900, piended and raised through wallhead. North pavilion has original kitchen, with large hearth divided into 3 sections. Piended slate roofs.
Subject of Daniel's (1919) print under former name of Liversie.
Side pavilions separate from house in print. Fish curing and packing station, with workers, also depicted.
Formerly home of MacKinnon family.<1>
Corry Lodge, c.1790 Georgian laird's house, the most elegant of its period in Skye, built as the seat of the Mackinnons of Corry, whose former residence was Coirechatachan. The house, which overlooks Liveras Point on the west side of Broadford Bay, consists of a central block connected by narrow bays to flanking transverse wings. An internal window suggests that these narrow bays were originally open alleys (Daniell's print shows them with single-storey screen walls). The wings form a courtyard to the rear, overlooked by a circular stair tower; the slated porch canopy is a later addition. Alterations by John Mackenzie, 1891 and by R. Carruthers Ballantyne & Taylor, 1925. <2>
See also <3>
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 13987.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Miers, M.. 2008. The Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. Paperback.
- <3> Text/Publication/Leaflet: Corry Lodge. 1990. Corry Lodge Estate, Broadford, Isle of Skye: [sale particulars].
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6428 2436 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB13987 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/75421 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.