MHG16937 - Armadale Castle, Home Farm, The High Square
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Renumbered from NG60SW0028
NG60SW0016 Porter's Lodge
This building was nominated for inclusion on the Buildings at Risk Register by local interest groups in August 2011. <1>
Home Farm (High Square), James Ross, 1848; a larger version of Sabhal Mor Ostaig with corner pavilion-tower incorporating a doocot; restored following a fire by John Mackenzie, 1891. (Miers 2008).
Doocot probably built between 1810 and 1840. The doocot is a square tower measuring 4.75 m each side with three storeys, the upper storey being the nesting area. There are few doocots known on Skye, and this one was built in a particularly grand style.
Miers, Mary 2008. Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. <2>
- <1> Text/Correspondence: Fry, I. 01/2012. Buildings at Risk updates, Inverness area and others. Digital.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2012. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Broadford. Yes. Digital. Site 68.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6404 0504 (108m by 78m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB14007 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/BAR/detail.aspx?sctID=5013 (Buildings at Risk Register entry)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/99172 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.