MHG16938 - Isleornsay Lighthouse, Eilean Sionnach


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • LIGHTHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Renumbered from NG71SW8538
JHooper, 5/12/2001

(Name cited as Ornsay Lighthouse, Eilean Sionnaich, and location as NG 713 122). Built 1857 by engineers D and T Stevenson. A short, circular-section tower with corbelled balcony. The single-storey keepers' houses have ridged roofs.
J R Hume 1977.

Ornsay light was built by David Stevenson to guard the S approach to the Sound of Sleat, and first lit on 10 November 1857; it used Thomas Stevenson's 'condensing' apparatus to display different strengths of light in different directions. It was converted to gas operation in 1898 and automated in 1962.
R W Munro 1979.

Sources/Archives (4)



Grid reference Centred NG 7134 1218 (80m by 80m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NG71SW
Geographical Area SKYE AND LOCHALSH
Civil Parish SLEAT

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.