MHG1695 - Castle Mestag
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CASTLE (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
Castle Mestag (NR) (remains of) OS 6" map, (1970)
Castle Mestag: On a detached rock stack, occupying nearly whole summit, has been a small keep, now reduced to a few courses of masonry. Except by means of bridge, position is inaccessible. There appears to be no extant history of structure and its existence is merely referred to in OSA (1797).
OSA 1797; RCAHMS 1911.
The ruins of Castle Mestag have been reduced to a section of walling along entire length of SE side, and another piece on NE side, some 3m long and 2m high. There does not appear to be any further walling along NW and SW sides, but this is conjectural as site is inaccessible.
Visited by OS (R B) 24 February 1965.
No change to the previous field report. Site inaccessible.
Visited by OS (J B) 20 July 1982.
Sir John Sinclair (ed.), 1791-9, The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, Vol. 8, 164 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2606.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 21, No. 58; illust (Text/Report). SHG2664.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 8, 164.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 21, No. 58; illust.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3397 7632 (300m by 300m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:9763 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM9763 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9371 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.