MHG16955 - The Shieling, Scourie Village
An earlier 19th-century traditional dwelling house, part of which was previously used as a hardware shop and general store.
Type and Period (4)
- HOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD to 1833 AD (at some time))
- HARDWARE SHOP (In use, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD? to 1905 AD? (between))
- GENERAL STORE (19th Century to 20th Century - 1850 AD? to 1905 AD?)
- POST OFFICE (19th Century to 20th Century - 1850 AD? to 1905 AD?)
Listed category changed from C(S) to B on 14/07/04 <1>
An L-plan house and shop, built in the earlier 19th century with later additions. The original dwelling house comprised the left 4 bays, the former hardware shop the right 3 bays. The single storey wing to the south-east was built in the mid to late 19th century to accommodate a general store. This was originally a separate building and at some time has been joined to the main house. A single storey outshut lies to the rear of the house which was used for storage and which reportedly has a timber-lined interior with original shop fixtures and fittings. Other original features are reported to survive within the house and former shop. The style of the crowstepped gables is not typical of buildings on the Sutherland Estate. It is believed that the house may have been built by Donald MacDonald from Rogart in the 1820s, rather than by the Estate, which would explain the stylistic difference. <2>
Photographs and descriptive information relating to the rear wing were submitted in February 2009 following a grant of planning consent for alterations. It appears that many of the original features mentioned in the listed building report have been removed during the last 30 years. <3>
The present kitchen in the rear wing is served by two chimneys which lead from what appears to be a large fireplace, around 6 ft long, now bricked over. It is possible that this was a forge used for manufacturing ironmongery on site for sale in the hardware shop. <4>
- <1> Verbal Communication: Aitken, J. Comments by Jacquie Aitken, SMR Assistant.
- <2> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Macdonald, J. 01/2009. Photographs of The Shieling, Scourie. Colour. . Digital.
- <4> Text/Correspondence: Highland Council. 02/2009. Correspondence between Sylvina Tilbury, HCAU, and Jamie Macdonald. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 15742 44570 (22m by 34m) (Approximate)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB453 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/110989 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.