MHG16979 - Migdale Mill
The former Migdale grain mill.
Type and Period (1)
- GRAIN MILL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
The former Migdale grain mill.
1st ed OS shows "Cornmill" small building range. Mill lade downs immediate E side. Large "Mill dam" - irreegular U shaped pool to N centred on 262945892040 - HAW 2/2003
(Location cited as NH 629 919). Migdale Mill, early 19th century. A two-storey rubble building on an L plan, with a 6-spoke wood and iron wheel, 10ft diameter and 2ft 9ins wide (3.05 by 0.83m). The interior is gutted and there are the remains of a pot-barley mill nearby. <2>
The building was listed at Category C in 1979.
A programme of archaeological work was carried out by S Farrell in 2002 at Migdale Mill, Sutherland, prior to and during the mill being converted into a house. The site had seen some work carried out under a previous planning application in 2000 but without any archaeological recording being carried out. The area to the south of the mill was landscaped, with the external steps of the mill to the first floor being removed and the kiln was partially excavated. A detailed photographic survey was undertaken along with a measured drawing survey (Base drawings were provided by Architecture Plus with details inserted by the author) of the building before development work was undertaken. <3>
In 2014 ARCH provided a number of courses, field trips and other activities exploring and researching the remains of the 19th century engineer, road and church builder Thomas Telford. A project was undertaken in Kyle of Sutherland, during which many sites, some not directly related to Telford, were visited and photographed by participants. <4>
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 according to OS MasterMap. <5>
See also NH69SW0086 Mill House
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 310; pl. 117.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Farrell, S.. 2002. Report of Archaeological Work at Migdale Mill, Sutherland. Stuart Farrell. 21/01/2002. Digital.
- <4> Dataset/Database File: Kruse, S.. 2015. Telford in the Kyle of Sutherland Project. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital. Site 23.
- <5> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6297 9194 (21m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB271 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.archhighland.org.uk/telford-in-kyle-of-sutherland.asp (Visit the ARCH Telford in the Kyle of Sutherland Project page)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14049 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.