MHG16990 - Clynelish Farm Steading and Dairy
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NC80NE0047 Clynelish House, Laundry and Walled Garden
NC80NE0045 1, 2 and 3 Clynelish Farm Cottages
NC80NE0046 4 Clynelish Farm Cottages
This large and impressive square planned steading was completely rebuilt in 1866. It was built into a slope and had three covered cattle courts, a steam-powered threshing barn (all machinery gone) on the first floor level with loft above and cart lodges below. The site opens down slope to the N and there is a detached dung house to the N approached by a 'draw bridge' from the passageway through the barn range behind the cattle courts. There is also a detached dairy within the complex, a steel framed dutch barn, pig styes, a large farmhouse, a laundry building and a row of worker's houses. The steading and assocoated buildings was in mostly good condition and was still in use on the dates of survey.
Visited by RCAHMS (GJD), February 1994; see NMRS MS 744/95.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sutherland Estates. 1866-. Sutherland Estates building specifications. Clynelish 1866, 1-24; 1885, 1-7.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Wade Martins, S. 1997. ''A Century of Farms and Farming on the Sutherland Estate, 1790 - 1890'', Review of Scottish Culture, Vol 10, 1996-7, pp 33-54. p 43, 45, 46; fig. 9.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8958 0537 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB580 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/90207 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.