MHG17090 - Old Heavitree Farm, Station Road, Golspie
Mid C19 century 2 storey house with single storey steading range extending from rear gable. Low coped front wall with cast-iron spearhead railings.
Type and Period (3)
- HOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1840 AD to 1850 AD (between))
- STEADING (Built, 19th Century - 1840 AD to 1850 AD (between))
- GARDEN WALL (Built, 19th Century - 1840 AD to 1850 AD (between))
Golspie/Lairg Local Plan, July 1983: P40/79. POLICY - Applications for housing development on gap sites within Golspie, including Heavitree Farm will be encouraged subject to the appropriate siting and servicing being met.
J Aitken : 11/06/01.
1840-50, 2-storey, 3-bay house; red rubble with tooled rubble dressings; harled NE gable and rear. Advanced and
gabled SE centre bay with off-centre door with narrow side window; apex stack; large windows, wider in ground floor outer bays. 2-storey and attic, wide 2-bay wing at SW corner of rear elevation, forming L-plan court at NE rear. Large wallhead stack flanked by bargeboarded and gabled dormers with sliding sashes. 16-pane sashes with thick centre mullions in front windows; 12-pane elsewhere. Corniced end stacks; slate roof. Long single storey rubble steading range extends from rear gable. Low coped front retaining wall with cast-iron spearhead railings; drystone wall elsewhere. <1>
Research on Old Heavitree Farm was carried out by Etta Sutherland, a participant on a Community Timelines course, run by ARCH in 2010. Heavitree was originally built by the local carter, James Anderson, around 1850. The Duke of Sutherland purchased the property around 1870 and opened up the Sutherland Station Hotel (as it appears on the 1st edition OS map of 1873). The propertywas later run as a farm and had several outbuildings including a steading with the farm using the fields along Ferry Road and Goslpie Golf course until 1974 for grazing the farm's sheep. In 1907 a Mrs Gordon lived at Heavitree as noted in her obituary in the Northern Times. Mr George Lyall later ran Heavitree Farm from the property where Bella Mackay was employed as a dairymaid. From 1946 the Robertson family ran the farm; Willie Robertson lived in the farm until his death. Heavitree is no longer run as a farm and the adjacent land was sold and an additional two houses now stand in the courtyard. Sutherland Estates remain the owners of Heavitree House and it is currently (2010) let. A photograph was submitted to the HER. <2>, <3>
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 7013.
- <2> Collection/Catalogue/Gazetteer: ARCH and Invidual Participants. 08/2010. Additional information on a number of sites, contributed by participants in ARCH Community Timeline Courses in Evanton and Golspie. Yes. Digital. CT-G11 Etta Sutherland.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Private individuals. 2010. Photographs submitted by participants in ARCH Community Timeline course in Evanton and Golspie. Colour digital. Yes. Digital. Shirley Sutherland.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8295 9980 (15m by 31m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7013 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/111090 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.