MHG17160 - Free Church of Scotland and former school, High Street, Fort William
Free church and former school built in 1846.
Type and Period (2)
- FREE CHURCH (Built, 19th Century - 1846 AD to 1846 AD)
- CHURCH SCHOOL (Built, 19th Century - 1846 AD to 1846 AD)
Built in 1846, this is a rectangular single storey building with a two storey north elevation accommodating a sloping site. A description of the building is available in <1>.
The building is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1871 as a Free Church and school. <2>
The building was previously wrongly located on the HER. <3>
Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe in July 2011 via the Highland HER Flickr group.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-4. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
- <3> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. M Briscoe, 28/04/2009.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 09996 73752 (19m by 18m) (Mastermap)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB31789 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/108570 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.