MHG17225 - Kinloch Castle, Rhum
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Large castellated Tudor mansion designed by Leeming & Leeming of London for the Lancashire industrialist George Bullough, 1897. It is square, nine bays by nine, built round a centre court. Only two storeys, the ground floor encircled by a castellated semi-elliptically arched verandah. Round corner towers, their battlements strongly corbelled. On the the E (entrance) front, three full-height bay windows and a tall off-centre entrance tower with a still taller turret corbelled out at one corner. Inside, the vestibule opens into a two-storey living-hall, neo-Jacobean Artisan Mannerist, with a gallery round three sides. Panelled ceiling with strapwork decoration and pendants. Fireplace in inglenook. In the windows, panels of stained glass. To the S, the drawing room, originally Jacobean but partly remodelled in 1906 after Bullough's marriage, the formerly dark carved woodwork painted white and a broad arch framed by Ionic pilasters opened into the adjacent boudoir. Also of 1906 are the Adam-revival white marble chimneypieces. On the house's E side, the dining room and the billiard room, both also Jacobean. In the billiard room, both a dais for spectators and an arch into a sitting area for those bored by the game. Two-storey high ballroom, the detail again Jacobean but the walls covered in gold damask set off by white painted woodwork and plasterwork. Shallow tunnel-vaulted plaster ceiling. Musicians gallery at one end.
At the S edge of the garden beside Loch Scresort, a harled concrete octagonal gazebo of c.1900, castellated and with a strongly corbelled bartizan at one corner.
Gifford, John, "The Buildings of Scotland - Highlands and Islands".
NM49NW 12.00 4015 9953
NM49NW 12.01 NM 4030 9955 gazebo
NM49NW 12.02 NM 4022 9943 Sluggan Burn bridge
For associated Bullough Mausoleum (NM 3362 9565), see NM39NW 60.
Architect: Leeming & Leeming, 1901 for Sir George Bullough
Owner: Nature Conservancy Council, sold March 1957 by Lady Bullough.
1.Ordnance Survey: 1 10,000 map
2.Ordnance Survey. In 3953: Photographs held in architectural section.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Aslet, C. 1982. The last country houses. 1982, p 185, 321.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Gifford, J. 1992. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. Paper (Original). 577.
- --- Image/Drawing/Plan: James F Stephen Architects. 03/2007. Plans relating to proposals for activity centre. Digital.
- --- Text/Publication/Article/Newspaper Article: Dalton, A. 1996. Kinloch Castle: Scottish Natural Heritage shuts hotel and examines options for the future [Rum, Kinloch Castle, newscutting]. The Scotsman.
- --- Text/Publication/Article/Newspaper Article: Lambton, L. 1993. The clock stops here [Rhum, Kinloch Castle, newscutting]. The Scotsman.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Country Life. Country Life May 6, 1949. May 6, 1949.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 4015 9953 (75m by 82m)|
|Civil Parish||SMALL ISLES|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB14125 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/BAR/detail.aspx?sctID=1385 (Buildings at Risk register entry)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22200 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.