MHG1724 - MBA Spearhead - Canisbay
Findspot of middle Bronze Age spearhead.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A Middle Bronze Age, looped and socketed, bronze spearhead (Class 'C') found at a depth of 2.5 ft in a peat moss at Canisbay (ND 348 721) in or before 1933, was purchased for NMAS1967-8.
J G Callander 1933; J M Coles 1966; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1969.
Listed under Acc. No. DG 111 in the NMS catalogue. Described as leaf shaped with flattened loops on the socket and a rib along the socket. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1966. 'Scottish Middle Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 97 1963-4, p.82-156. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 82-156. 142.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1969. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 100 1967-8, p.201-5. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 201-5. 204.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Callander, J G. 1933. 'A short cist containing a beaker at Newlands, Oyne, Aberdeenshire, and Sundry archaeological notes', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 67 (1932-33), pp 228-43. p 241; illust.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DG 111.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3479 7210 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- SPEARHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-188-166-C& (Link to NMS online collections database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9416 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.