MHG1727 - Farmstead, Ha' of Wares
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Ha' of Warse (NAT) OS 6" map, Caithness, 1st ed., (1873)
An ordinary sized farm-steading and dwelling-house (ONB 1873), described by Mowat as being the "Haa a' Warse", the ancient hall of the Groats of Warse, and occupied by them about 1726 (Macfarlane 1906-8).
Name Book 1873; J Mowat 1931; W Macfarlane 1906-8.
The farmer could add nothing to above report. Nothing architecturally significant was noted.
Visited by OS (J M) 7 July 1982.
REFERENCE - Scottish Record Office
Warse. Joiner work done by John Sutherland to the House of Warse. Receipted account.
1818 GD 136/875/14
- --- SHG2441 Text/Publication/Volume: Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.). 1906-8. Geographical collections relating to Scotland. Vol. 1, 151.
- --- SHG2546 Text/Publication/Volume: Mowat, J. 1931. Place-names of Canisbay, Caithness. 28.
- --- SHG3350 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 2, 105.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3361 7229 (184m by 166m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9420 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.