MHG17320 - Arisaig Railway Station: Ticket Office/ Waiting Room
The waiting room and ticket office building of Arisaig Station, on the West Highland Railway Line.
Type and Period (2)
- RAILWAY STATION (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- RAILWAY OFFICE (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
This intermediate station on the Fort William - Mallaig line (the 'West Highland Extension') of the former North British Railway was opened by that company on 1 April 1901. It remains in regular use by passenger traffic. Although built as a two-platform station, it is now an unstaffed halt.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 14 June 2001.
B Williams 1988; R V J Butt 1995.
Arisaig Station, 1901. Station building conforming to the West Highland Railway's standard Swiss chalet format, accompanied by well preserved contemporary signal box. Three pretty railway workers' cottages of poured concrete on the slope below. <1>
Ticket Office/waiting room: 1900-01. Single storey, symmetrical 3-bay station building, comprising booking office and waiting room. All harled with contrasting painted window reveals. Segmental headed recess in north front (facing platform and railway) with flanking canted bay windows. Outer gable walls (partially glazed) carried forward to support projecting roof which forms continuous verandah fronting building and platform. Secondary entrance in centre, east gable; multi-pane glazing; end stacks; piended slate roof with deep eaves. <2>
The list description for the buildings was updated as part of Scottish Signal Box Review (2012-13). <3>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Miers, M.. 2008. The Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. Paperback.
- <2> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 326.
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Brough, Y.. 2013. Arisaig Village, Railway Station Ticket Office/Waiting Room and Signal Box: notification of update to list description. Historic Scotland. 09/07/2013. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6637 8674 (17m by 9m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB326 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/105380 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.