MHG17335 - Eigg Lodge, Isle of Eigg
Eigg Lodge, an Italianate shooting lodge, was built 1926-27.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Built, 20th Century to Unknown - 1926 AD)
Balfour Paul (of Rowand Anderson, Kininmonth and Paul), 1930, re-built after fire. 2-storey, 5-bay east facing dwelling with single storey, flat-roofed slightly advanced 2-bay wings projecting from north and south gables. All colour washed harl with contrasting painted rendered margins. Centre entrance in recessed centre bay framed by pair moulded
ashlar segmental headed arches supported by centre Roman Doric column. Recessed loggia in 1st floor above fronted by ashlar balustrade. 2 windows in outer bays, those in ground floor in tall, shallow segmental headed recesses; 1st floor windows linked by cill band. 2 tall windows in flanking wings; centre corniced entrance in 3-bay south return gable; multi-pane glazing throughout. End stacks to centre block with piended slate roof. Decorative urns at each wallhead angle of flanking wings. <1>
Fragments of Celtic cross slab, repaired and mounted on plinth, stand in entrance porch (see MHG42120). <2>
Originally built 1926-27, fire in 1930. As of 2010 the building is under restoration, as Earth Connections Sustainability Centre of Isle of Eigg. <3>
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 14111.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Wood, J. Comments by John Wood, Senior HC Archaeologist.
- <3> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Scottish Civic Trust. 2010. Buildings at Risk: Register for Scotland. 1913.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 4789 8421 (15m by 36m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||SMALL ISLES|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB14111 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/BAR/detail.aspx?sctID=1913 (Buildings at Risk register entry)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/106067 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.